A fine, 1960 modernist design, the monastery is hidden from view by a number of inauspicious buildings dating from 1850 to 1930.
Challenged to create a new entrance to the monastery and tertiary education centre, we designed a high quality contemporary building of brick, stone and glass.
Internally, it is a calm, spiritual atmosphere for the waiting and reception areas, creating a sense of monasterial expectation to every visitor. Externally it quietly contrasts the existing buildings, yet its modesty helps it to appear as part of the Abbey’s family of buildings.
Adjacent to the entrance, existing buildings have been remodelled to form retreat accommodation and meeting rooms.
The building received an RIBA Regional Award for design.