On behalf of Wiltshire Council, Carter Jonas were appointed to dispose of the freehold interest in the former St Peter’s School, Marlborough. Built in 1904, the building is a prominent town centre landmark that attracted a vast range of attention from developers nationwide.
The former St Peter’s School comprises an early 20th century Grade II listed building occupying a plot of approximately 1.149 acres. The school closed its doors to children in July 2017, 160 years after it first opened, and has remained vacant ever since. The property was sold with the benefit of having received pre-application advice regarding conversion into residential accommodation. Working jointly with the Carter Jonas Marlborough office, we were able to facilitate a significant number of viewing days at the premises. A deadline for final bids was set for late March 2019, upon which we received twelve formal submissions from a range of local and national developers. Sherborne Development, a locally based developer was successful in presenting a bidding matrix to Wiltshire Council. The premises will now undergo a substantial renovation to produce high quality residential accommodation within the town centre.