The Carter Jonas Masterplanning team, together with colleagues from our planning and town centres’ teams, prepared a long-term regeneration framework for improvements to the town centre of Abingdon, a town along the River Thames in The Vale of White Horse.
The team undertook significant engagement and consultation with local residents and stakeholders and worked closely with officers are the Vale of White Horse District Council and Oxfordshire County Council to prepare a detailed strategy for change.
A series of objectives, together with a Vision, were set out to articulate the main drivers for change. Regeneration opportunities were developed involving transport, mobility and the public realm, culture and recreation, together with proposals for the future redevelopment, or adaptive reuse, of key sites. Addressing the challenges of climate change is a fundamental part of the objectives, Vision and approach to regeneration opportunities.
The councils will be able to use the completed framework document to now plan a series of projects, investments and interventions to bring about real change in central Abingdon.
Our works in Abingdon included:
- An 18-month design, engagement and delivery programme;
- Two major consultation sessions in the town centre, engaging with the community and local stakeholders;
- Production of an overarching framework for change including series of key objectives;
- A market analysis study and specific site feasibility studies; and
- Production of the final CARF document launched in February 2023.