‘Design and build’ is becoming an increasingly popular mode of delivery for construction and engineering projects of all scales.
When a design and build contract is being used, most standard forms of contract make provision for an Employer's Agent to administer the terms of the contract on behalf of the employer. This includes such activity as:
- Issuing instructions where the work is varied
- Reviewing information prepared by the contractor
- Approving certain aspects of the information submitted by the contractor
- Managing change control procedures
- Reviewing the progress of the works and preparing reports for the client
- Validating or certifying payments
- Considering claims such as requests for extensions of time and certifying these or otherwise
- Monitoring commissioning and inspections
- Arranging handover
- Certifying practical completion
- Managing the rectification of defects
- Issuing the certificate of making good defects
- Agreeing the final account
Our approach to acting as an employer's agent
Our professionals, acting as employer’s agent in a design and build setting, work on our client’s behalf to control the project by implementing the terms of the contract as originally defined.
By doing this, we prevent scope erosion, we control brief creep, we maintain programme control, and ultimately, we ensure financial control throughout the project.
Why choose Carter Jonas as your employer's agent?
Our building consultancy professionals are located in Bristol, Birmingham, Cambridge, Oxford, Leeds and London.
Our designated teams contain highly qualified and experienced chartered building surveyors and knowledgeable project managers who consistently provide a professional, effective, and personal service.